Thursday, January 8, 2009

Happy New Year!

We had a very uneventful New Year's. In fact, for the first time EVER, we didn't even make it to midnight. And...I didn't care! Last year, we rang in the New Year in the parking lot of the Detroit Airport after flying in from Guatemala. It was snowing like crazy and our car wouldn't start! After about 30 minutes, it finally started and we made our way home in a terrible snowstorm. What a way to start the new year! This year came in much quieter.

In honor of the New Year, it's always great to reflect a little so I snagged this off of Aimee's blog.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before?
Where do I start?! 2008 was an incredible year marked by significant transition. I started the most important job of my life…becoming a mom. It’s still a work in progress! ;)
2. Did you keep your New Years’ Resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I have no idea! I don’t think I made any last year other than to find a way to get through each day as we waited.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? We had three dear friends give birth and have many friends who expanded their families through adoption.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes, my grandmother.
5. What countries did you visit? Guatemala
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? More balance. I know, that is vague, but I am working on defining what that means.
7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? There are many!
3/19-3/25: Our 3rd visit trip during Semana Santa. We spent the week in Antigua and it was AMAZING!!
4/8/08: The day we finally heard the news that we were out of PGN after 7 months.
4/27/08: The day Eli was placed in our arms forever.
5/14/08: The day we arrived home as a family.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? The relationship I have developed with my sweet son.
9. What was your biggest failure? I really hate that word as I believe that “mistakes” offer us the opportunity to grow. I was certainly challenged in many ways this year. I struggled with finding balance, but I also see this is a natural part of going through huge life transitions. So, definitely not a “failure” but also definitely something I am aiming to find in 2009.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Yes – I got sick in Guatemala and a few times after coming home.
11. What was the best thing you bought? A one way lap ticket from Guatemala to the US.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration? Definitely Eli. He makes us laugh and smile everyday and gives us so much joy. He is a very resilient little boy already. He reminds us every day of what is precious in life.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed? Hmmm…unfortunately, terrible things happen everyday. All you need to do is turn on the news.
14. Where did most of your money go? No doubt about that! Eli.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Getting that call we were out of PGN. It still brings tears to my eyes. I will never forget that moment.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008? Hmmm…there are many! “The Wood Song” by the Indigo Girls will always remind of me of the last couple of years.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a. happier or sadder? happier
b. thinner or fatter? the same with fluctuations along the way
c. richer or poorer? Poorer financial, but richer in every other way
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Reading and writing and sleeping.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Hmmm…worrying.
20. How did you spend Christmas? At home, with family.
21. What on-line users did you meet? Oh my gosh!! I met so many people online. It is amazing the friendships, support, and opportunities that came to us simply through starting a blog.
22. Did you fall in love in 2008? I fell deeper in love with my son.
23. How many one-night stands? Stupid. Stupid question.
24. What was your favourite TV program? Hmmmm…I certainly don’t watch as much TV and when I do, I am usually doing something else at the same time. But, I love LOST and can’t wait for the season premiere. I also love to watch baseball. That’s about all we watch during the season. I hope to be watching it through October this year!
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? No. (another stupid question)
26. What was the best book you read this year? Book? See #18. Actually, I read a couple of sleep books that really helped when Eli first came home.
27. What was your greatest musical discovery? I can’t think of any one artist, but I have really been diggin’ The Coffee House on XM/Sirius radio.
28. What did you want and get?My family at home together.
29. What did you want and not get? A winning lottery ticket. But, I also didn’t play the lottery, so…
30. What was your favourite film of this year? Well, I haven’t watched many movies this year. I recently saw Mystic River for the first time, which was excellent and I was very moved by Martian Child, which we watched on one of our plane trips to Guatemala.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I spent my birthday in Antigua during Semana Santa with my family and friends. It was great! I turned 34.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Less stress and worry.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? I don’t even know what this means!
34. What kept you sane? I am indebted to so many! Jason, my family, friends, and the online adoption community.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Barack Obama
36. What political issue stirred you the most? The Presidential Election
37. Who did you miss? I missed seeing all of our Westsylvania friends! It’s been too long.
38. Who was the best new person you met? Even though we “met” Eli in 2007, 2008 was definitely the year we bonded together as a family at home. Eli is definitely the light of our lives and inspires us everyday!
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008.
Oh boy…so many! This year has definitely been incredibly transformational in so many ways and has given me the opportunity to reflect and revaluate many things in my life. So, to pick just one valuable life lesson is tough! At the same time, life lessons are ever evolving so I am still figuring out what it all means. With that said, one lesson that stands out above the others at this moment is the importance of giving. We were simply astounded at the generosity of our family, friends, and complete strangers when we were in process. And, I don’t just mean financial generosity, but also generosity of the heart. This generosity affected me deeply and has truly changed the fabric of who I am.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Indigo Girls “The Wood Song”

"No way construction of this tricky plan
Was built by other than a greater hand
With a love that passes all our understanding
Watching closely over the journey, Yeah
But what it takes to cross the great divide
Seems more than all the courage I can muster up inside
Although we get to have some answers when we reach the other side
The prize is always worth the rocky ride

Sometimes I ask to sneak a closer look
Skip to the final chapter of the book
And then maybe steer us clear from some of the pain it took
To get us where we are this far, yeah
But the question drowns in it's futility
And even I have got to laugh at me
No one gets to miss the storm of what will be
Just hold on for the ride"

No comments: